Teaninich (pronounced Te-an-in-ich) Distillery is situated near Alness north of the Cromarty Firth. It was founded in 1817 and was extended in both 1899 and in 1970. A new still house was added and the six stills are visible from the road.
It was the first distillery north of Inverness to be fitted with electricity and one of the first to have telephonic communication between the Proprietors residence and the quarters of the Excise Officers.
The distillery closed in 1985 but has since reopened. In 1884 sales for the year amounted to 74,000 gallons and after expansion Teaninich was able to produce 1,750,000 gallons a year.