The commune of Pommard lies on a slope descending from Beaune, to the north, to Volnay, to the south. Of Pommard's 832 acres of vineyards, 309 are ranked premier cru over 24 climats. These all lie directly above and below the village of Pommard, situated in mid-slope, and produce only red wines. There are no grands crus. Average annual production is 10,402 hectolitres (115,560 cases).
Pommard is a very old village, and stands on the site of an early Christian temple, built by the Gauls and dedicated to Pomona, the goddess entrusted with the protection of fruits. By the year 1005, the village name had become "Polmarium" or "Polmarca," and underwent several subsequent changes in name before becoming "Pommard." During the Middle Ages, Pommard grew to be an important way-station for travellers passing between Beaune and Chagny, providing the only crossing point for miles along the Serein River before construction of the first bridge in 1670. This slender ford was marked by a cross, called the "Croix de Pommard", which was little help to travellers frequently washed away by the often violent river. The fact that Pommard is perhaps the most widely-known place-name in Burgundy is, curiously, due to the Huguenots. Banished after the Edict of Nantes, they chose to take with them this sturdy, long-lived wine, which they continued to import to each of their adopted countries.
The premier cru of Les Poutures is a vineyard of 10.2 acres lying at the southern edge of the village of Pommard below the premier cru of Chaponnires. The Clos des Poutures, a solely-owned parcel enclosed by a stone wall, occupies 1.65 acres directly outside the village of Pommard. Through a long-term contract concluded in 1995 with the Hetz family, owner of the Clos, Maison Louis Jadot produces a robust, well-structured wine with the full, earthy, red berry fruit, chewy texture and dense, lasting finish typical of this premier cru.