Reportedly founded by a Mr. Welsh in 1807, although the first official record of its existence came in 1825 when the distillery was licenced to Rose & McDonald. After briefly being owned by the Haig family, the distillery was
bought by a grain merchant and converted into a mill. Rebuilt in 1876, whisky production continued until 1922 when much of the distillery was destroyed by a fire. The distillery was rebuilt again and was The last surviving distillery in Inverness until it was mothballed in 1985. In 1988 the site was sold and converted into a restaurant.