Glen Albyn Distillery faced many turbulent times beginning with devastating damage provoked by a fire in November 1849, but was back distilling again by 1850. Twenty years after it was first founded the distillery hit more hard time and was sold and renovated into a flour mill. In 1884 Gregory (Grigor) and Company rebuilt the distillery and grew into a lucartive business with an estimated annual output of 75,000 gallons of single highland malt scotch whisky. The distillery housed worm tubs that differed from the usual: formed like the letter D as opposed to the usual round shape, they created a larger increase in cooling power which improves the flavour of good whisky. In 1882 Glen Albyn's neighbour Glen Mhor was constructed, and its operator Mackinlays and Birnie Ltd also bought over Glen Albyn Distillery. Both were then in turn bought out by DCL and finally transferred to SMD. Glen Albyn was finally mothballed and demolished in the 1980's.
AROMA without water Hints of rum and raisin, with defined fruity notes. Some subtle esters - fresh with subtle kiwi notes.
TASTE without water An inital hint of warm spice - cinammon. A defined sweetness, smooth yet complex. With a touch of nuts - hazelnuts.
AROMA with water Fresh, with some fudge aromas. The sweetness lingers and hints of orange peel develop.
TASTE with water Some subtle spice, creamy with a rounded smoothness.