Fettercairn Distillery claims to be the second licensed distillery following the watershed Act of the preceding year. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1887 and then was silent from 1926 until the outbreak of World War II. During that period, it came close to being dismantled as a buyer could not be found. Joseph Hobbs bought the distillery, Hobbs was the owner of other distilleries such as Bruichladdich and Lochside.
The distillery now belongs to Whyte & Mackay. There are 2 pairs of stills which have a water cooling arrangement on the necks to increase the amount of reflux that takes place.